HEALTH & SAFETY
RESPONSIBLE OFFICE: MU Environmental Health & Safety
The University of Missouri (MU) is responsible for developing and implementing programs and policies to ensure that MU is in compliance with all applicable environmental health and safety regulations and provides a safe work environment for faculty, staff, students, and visitors as outlined in the Collected Rules & Regulations.
It is a shared responsibility of the food industry and governments to ensure that food provided to the consumer is safe and does not become a vehicle in a disease outbreak or in the transmission of communicable disease. This shared responsibility extends to ensuring that consumer expectations are met, and that food is unadulterated, prepared in a clean environment, and honestly presented. While the USDA provides guidelines, the food code regulations come from MU Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) following the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS).
- Approved Source. Business or facility that supplies prepared or packaged food items and is licensed by the University or other responsible state or federal regulatory agency.
- University Sanitarian. University of Missouri official responsible for educating, training, and monitoring food services on campus to ensure safety and sanitation practices are being followed.
MU ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY RESPONSIBILITY
- Statutory Compliance. Develop programs and policies to ensure that MU is in compliance with all laws and applicable regulations; to ensure the health and safety of its students, faculty and staff; and to ensure the proper use, storage, and disposal of biological, chemical, radioactive materials, and any other hazardous materials.
- Training & Documentation. Provide faculty, staff, and students with the relevant rules, the necessary training, and the appropriate resources to comply with standards and regulations, to maintain an appropriately safe work environment, and to maintain appropriate documentation that standards and regulations are being met.
STUDENT, FACULTY, STAFF, AND VISITOR RESPONSIBILITY
- Comply with Rules and Regulations. Faculty, staff and students at the University of Missouri have the responsibility and obligation to act in accordance with all applicable federal and state regulations.
- It is the responsibility of individual faculty, staff, and students to be informed of applicable rules and regulations and to comply with these rules and regulations. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations constitutes possible grounds for dismissal of students and termination for cause of faculty and staff.
- In unusual situations where the University is exempt from regulatory jurisdiction due to its status as a government entity, faculty, staff, and students still have an obligation for knowledge of the risk and meeting the intent of the regulations.
- It is also the responsibility of individual faculty, staff and students having actual knowledge that the actions of visitors are in violation of applicable rules and regulations to inform the visitor(s) of that known fact and to take reasonable steps in an effort to stop such action.
- Deans / Directors / Department Heads and their Designees. Make sure any and all food or beverage prepared, purchased, or served be procured from an Approved Source and meet EHS requirements. Contact the University Sanitarian to establish new Approved Source.
- FDA Food Code (2017)
- DHSS 19 CSR 20-1 Food Protection
- CRR 85:010 Risk Management (2007)
- CRR 85.020 Hazardous Chemicals and Radioactive Materials (2007)
- BPPM 7:001 Environmental Health & Safety (2021)
- BPPM 1:090 Fund Raising Activities by Student Organizations (2015)
For additional information about any safety or health related policy or guideline, refer to the EHS web site or contact us at email@example.com / (573) 882-7018.