PROPERTY, EQUIPMENT & FACILITIES
Use of University Equipment & Resources in Non-University Work
University equipment and resources may be used in the performance of consulting and other non-University work permitted by University policy, provided such use does not conflict with University needs and is in the best interests of the University.
A written agreement between the University and the firm or organization for which the work is being performed is required.
Facilities & Resource Use Agreement
A written agreement is required prior to the use of University equipment and/or resources in non-University work. This agreement must define and detail the kind, amount and total charge for equipment, space, services, and staff.
- Contact Administrative Services (882-7254), 319 Jesse Hall, to obtain a University Facilities and Resource Use Agreement.
Use of University equipment and/or resources for non-University work requires payment of a fee. With the exception of the fees charged for use of University services, half of the fees will be credited to a campus general operating budget income account, and the other half will be credited to an appropriate account designated by the divisional dean having custody of the equipment and/or resources.
Existing rates will be charged for the use of University services for which rate are established and fees are charged (such as service operations, auxiliaries, etc.). These fees will be credited to those units which provide the services.
Use of equipment is charge at an hourly rate equal to .0004 times the acquisition cost, with a $5.00 per hour minimum rate, unless there is an existing rate schedule.
Use of space will be charged at a daily rate of $1.00 per square foot.
Support Staff Assistance
Clerical, secretarial and technician services are charged at 2.5 times the individual’s actual hourly rate. This provides for fringe benefits, overhead.
Graduate or undergraduate student services are charged at 1.65 times the individual’s actual hourly rate. This provides for fringe benefits, overhead.
There will be a $50 minimum charge for use of University equipment and resources.
For amounts in excess of $5,000 (excluding consultant’s fee), the University’s normal grant and contract procedures should be used. For amounts of $5,000 or less (excluding consultant’s fee), following procedure is to be used, prior to beginning work on the project:
- Obtain a Facilities and Resource Use Agreement from Administrative Services (882-7254).
- Complete the Facilities and Resource Use Agreement and submit it to the department chair.
- When approved by the department chair, the agreement is to be forwarded to the divisional dean, the vice provost for Research, and Administrative Services (311 Jesse Hall) for review.
NOTE: Any changes or additions made to the Facilities and Resource Use Agreement will be reviewed by the Office of General Counsel. Administrative Services will coordinate this review.
- When approved by those indicated above, a copy of the agreement will be provided to the faculty member/ consultant for submission to the firm or organization for which the work is being performed.
- When the agreement is returned to the faculty member by the firm or organization, it should be forwarded to Administrative Services, 311 Jesse Hall.