Camping on Campus

Chapter 6
Section: 6:095
Camping on Campus

Adopted:  06/01/2017

Responsible Office: Operations Administration

Camping on Campus


Camping is not permitted on University grounds, in or under University structures, or in University buildings except under the approved circumstances noted below.

This policy applies to all University of Missouri employees, students, University affiliates, contractors, and visitors. This policy is in compliance with Collected Rules and Regulations (CRR) §110.010.

Expanded definitions and information for this policy are available under Resources below.


Camping is defined as any of the following:

  • The establishment of, or attempt to establish, temporary or permanent living quarters at any location on University property other than residence halls, apartments, or other University managed housing; for purpose of this definition, “living quarters” includes living rooms, bedrooms, or other spaces that are capable of being occupied as the equivalent of a residence or accommodation;
  • Sleeping outdoors between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.;
  • Sleeping in or under any parked vehicle beyond the purpose of a short nap (e.g. work breaks or study breaks);
  • Establishing or maintaining outdoors, or in or under any structure not designated for human occupancy, at any time during the day or night, a temporary or permanent place for cooking, storing personal belongings, or sleeping by setting up any bedding, sleeping bag, mattress, tent, or other sleeping equipment, or by setting up any cooking equipment that has not been authorized according to the Environmental Health & Safety policy.

Exceptions to the policy

Actions that constitute “camping” as above may be allowed in the following special circumstances:

  • On University property specifically identified as a campground and used exclusively for the purpose of camping and related recreational outdoor activities;
  • On University property specifically identified as a location for overnight parking of vehicles when the University or University department has given written approval, has issued a permit for such parking, and if applicable has collected a fee for the issuance of the overnight permit;
  • By artists or actors who participate in University authorized performances that require such actions as part of the artistic production and only so long as it relates to their performance;
  • As part of authorized tailgating activities that are undertaken in compliance with applicable rules and policies regarding tailgating at sports events, concerts, or other similar University-sponsored activities;
  • In extraordinary circumstances, such as times of natural disaster, permission has been granted by the Chancellor or other University officials with responsibility.


Food permits
Open Flame Permits

Cross Reference

CRR 110.010 Use of Facilities and Equipment