PROPERTY, EQUIPMENT & FACILITIES
Use of Facilities
Use of Facilities
Regulations for use of facilities are reviewed, revised and approved by the Curators of the University of Missouri. The regulations that follow come from the Collected Rules and Regulations, Section 110.10 effective: September 16, 1988.
University buildings and grounds are intended for use by students, faculty and staff in support of the University's mission of research, instruction and extension. Individuals, groups or organizations may use University buildings and grounds only with written permission, and then only in accordance with University rules and regulations.
Temporary Use of Facilities
Written permits for the temporary use of University grounds, buildings or rooms therein for any purpose other than regularly scheduled classroom work must be secured in advance.
No advantage shall be given to any religion or religious group.
All classes, meetings or assemblages held in University buildings or on University grounds are subject to all U.S. and Missouri laws, and University requirements, rule and regulations. In addition, all groups are expected to take proper care of the facility and observe the simple rules of courtesy, decency and good manners at all times. Any failure to abide by these requirements may cause permission for use of the facility to be withdrawn at any time, or for future permission for use of any University facilities to be denied.
- The possession of and discharge of firearms, weapons and explosives on University property including University farms is prohibited except in regularly approved programs or by University agents in the line of duty.
- No University building or part thereof or grounds may be occupied as living rooms or bedrooms except those duly set aside for such purposes.
- The University reserves the right to set reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on all meetings, gatherings or get-togethers to assure the most beneficial use of the buildings and grounds, and that there is no interference with the right of students to obtain an education.
- The use of University facilities should not imply an endorsement of any individual group or organization.
- The name of the University shall not be identified in any way wit aims, policies, programs, products or opinions of any individual, groups or organizations which may meet in University buildings or on University grounds in accordance with these regulations. [See also: 6:053 Sales, Solicitations, Collections and Advertising.]
All debris must be removed from buildings and premises by the sponsoring organization immediately following an event.
- If extraordinary cleaning by the University is necessary, the cost of such work will be paid by the sponsoring organization.
- Any damage to a building or a loss of University owned material or equipment resulting from the use of a building by any organization shall be charged to the responsible organization.
No decorations are permitted in or on University buildings or grounds except as approved by Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 304 Jesse Hall.
Use by Recognized Student Groups
University buildings and grounds may be utilized and opened to the public for appropriate activities and programs sponsored by an officially recognized student organization, provided that such programs are in accordance with established rules and regulations. [See also 1:090 Fund Raising Activities by Student Organizations.]
The organization must file a written request for approval of the activity or program at least ten days prior to the event, unless Auxiliary and Service Operations has authorized an exception to the ten day rule because of special circumstances.
- Recognized student organizations may not solicit subscriptions, or collect dues from prospective students or guests of the University in University buildings or on University grounds.
- Any student organization or enterprise which declares a dividend among its members or from which members derive financial profit may use University buildings or grounds, only under the same condition as non-student groups.
Use by Ad Hoc Groups or Students
Ad hoc groups or students may use University facilities for meetings or social events only by written permission by Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 304 Jesse Hall.
Use By Non-Students
In addition to the general rules and procedures specified above, the following rules apply to all uses of University facilities by non-student individuals and groups, except for official University public functions.
University Policies & Regulations
Persons who are not students or employees of the University, while on University property, are required to abide by University policies and regulations.
Use of Available Facilities
Use of available University facilities may be granted to non-student groups for meetings, programs and activities.
- When the meeting, program and activity is sponsored by or the group is invited by an instructional or administrative division or department as a part of its educational program with the approval of the dean or the appropriate administrative officer of that division or department.
- When sponsored by a learned, educational, professional, or scientific society for organizational or educational purposes when recommended by a dean or other appropriate administrative officer.
- Other non-affiliated and non-sponsored groups may make use of the facilities of the University upon written approval of Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 304 Jesse Hall.
- Persons who are not current students or employees of the University and who are on University without specific permission or authorization or without an appropriate purpose may be deemed guilty of trespass. A person shall be deemed to be on University property "without specific permission or authorization" from an dafter such time as they are requested to leave the property. A person shall be deemed to be on University property "without an appropriate purpose" whenever their presence is not reasonable related to the University's educational function, or an approved University related extracurricular activity.
Fees and Costs Incurred by the Activity
Affiliated groups may be charged an approved fee. Affiliated groups are those:
- Sponsored by or invited by an instructional or administrative division or department as a part of its educational program with the approval of the dean or the appropriate administrative officer of that division or department.
- Sponsored by a learned, educational, professional, or scientific society for organizational or educational purposes when recommended by a dean or other appropriate administrative officer.
Non-Affiliated, Non-Sponsored Groups
Groups which are not affiliated, or not sponsored by the University will be charged a fee approved by the Chancellor.
Cost Incurred by the Activity
The sponsoring organization will be responsible for any cost incurred on the part of the University, including clean-up, special construction, set-up costs, and extra security as deemed necessary by Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 304 Jesse Hall.
Assignment Of Classrooms, Laboratories and Office Space
Scheduled Classes & Examinations - Assignment of classrooms and laboratories for regularly scheduled classes and examinations will be made on a semester-by-semester basis by the Registration Office (882-6794), 225 Jesse Hall.
Research Laboratories & Offices - Space in University buildings for continuing use by divisions, departments, or other units, for use as research laboratories, offices of for other special purposes, is assigned by deans and directors.
Scheduling Temporary Use of Facilities
Specific procedures are established by the campus for the scheduling and use of University facilities. Effective date: 1982.
Classrooms - Rooms normally used as classrooms may be scheduled for temporary use.
- For University functions, (not including activities of student organizations), contact the Registration Office (882-6794), 225 Jesse Hall, for use during the day (7:30 a.m. through 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday) when University classes are in session.
- For use at all other times and by student organizations, contact Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 304 Jesse Hall.
MU Student Center and Memorial Union - Temporary use of rooms in MU Student Center and Memorial Union may be scheduled through the Office of the Director of Missouri Unions (882-3516).
Hearnes Multipurpose Building - Temporary use of Hearnes may be scheduled through the Director's Office (882-2056), 260 Hearnes.
Jesse Auditorium - Temporary use of Jesse Auditorium may be scheduled through Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 218 Heinkel Building.
D.W. Reynolds Alumni Center - Temporary use of rooms in the D.W. Reynolds Alumni Center may be scheduled through the University Club, Sales Office (882-2765).
Outside Areas - To schedule temporary use of outside areas, contact Auxiliary and Service Operations (882-7255), 304 Jesse Hall.