PROPERTY, EQUIPMENT, & FACILITIES
Surplus Property & Equipment
Surplus Property & Equipment
The transfer and disposal of University-owned surplus property and equipment is coordinated by MU Procurement Services, Surplus Property Section .
Transferring Surplus Property or Equipment
Property or equipment that is surplus to a department's needs, regardless of its condition or estimated value, must be transferred to MU Procurement Services, Surplus Property Section. [The only exception: a department may transfer its surplus property and equipment directly to another University department.]
Transfers to Another Department
MU Procurement Services, Inventory Control must be notified when property or equipment which has been inventoried is transferred from one department to another.
- Complete a Property Inventory and Change Report (UM 27) through the line labeled "Originating Dept. Signature." Follow the directions on the back of the form. Be sure to mark the box next to "Transferred to another department and inventory account number."
- Give the form to the receiving department.
- Obtain the signature of the director, department chair or authorized representative, and fill in the information requested on that signature line.
- Mail the form to: Inventory Control, 1105 Carrie Francke Drive .
Transfers to Surplus Property Section
To arrange transfer of surplus property or equipment to the Surplus Property Warehouse:
- Complete a Property Inventory and Change Report (UM 27) through the line labeled "Originating Dept. Signature." Follow the directions on the back of the form. Be sure to mark the box next to "Excess Property." Supply the fund name and fund code number.
- Mail the completed form to: Surplus Property Section, Rock Quarry Surplus Property Warehouse.
Surplus Property Section:
- Coordinate the transportation of property or equipment from the originating department to the warehouse on Rock Quarry Road (882-5053).
Selling Surplus Property and Equipment
All surplus property and equipment which has been transferred to the Surplus Property Section is inspected for potential resale. Items are dis carded only when they are beyond repair or have no resale value, in which case the respective disposal fee may be charged to the originating department.
Internal Sale of Surplus Property
The Surplus Property Section makes surplus property and equipment available to all University departments at reasonable prices, prior to selling it to the general public. The property and equipment is located at the Rock Quarry Surplus Property Warehouse, 882- 5053.
- Department representatives may purchase property or equipment from the warehouse using an IDO (Inter Department Order, UM 48).
- If a department buys equipment from Surplus Property that is part of the University's inventory (i.e. has an inventory bar code) it is important to notify Inventory Control of the purchase so the ownership ca n be transferred in the Inventory System. Notify Inventory Control by sending a Property Change Report (UM27).
External Sale of Surplus Property
If the Surplus Property Section determines that there is no apparent need for useable property or equipment by any department or campus, the property or equipment may be sold to the general public. The following methods are used by MU Procurement Services to sell items that are not purchased internally.
- Public Auction - Public auctions are held approximately once a month at the Surplus Property Warehouse.
- GovDeals – Select items may be offered to an infinite number of potential buyers through the Surplus Property GovDeals site.
- Invitation for Bid (IFB) – If there is a known list of potential bidders, Procurement Services may issue a written invitation for bids to sell specific items.
Proceeds from the Sale of Surplus Items
The proceeds from the sale of surplus property and equipment are divided between the originating department and the Surplus Property Section on a 65/35 percent basis, respectively.
Note: The only exception is for items that remain on-site at their campus location and are sold through an IFB or the Surplus Property GovDeals site. In such case, the campus department will be responsible for providing the necessary specifications/description and photos as needed, responding to customer questions, and coordinating pick-up/delivery with the successful bidder. The proceeds from this type sale will be divided between the originating department and the Surplus Property Section on a 75/25 percent basis, respectively.