Mail service is provided for official University business only. Using postage purchased with University funds and using Campus Mail Service or courier for personal business is prohibited.
All U.S. Mail (regardless of class) and UPS pieces received at Campus Mail Service Facility, Hitt Street Garage North, must bear a return address.
Preparing Outgoing U.S. Mail
- All unstamped or unmetered mail must have a bar code label affixed as prescribed by Campus Mail Service.
- Campus Mail Service will arrange to affix postage on one-time official University mailings for departments, organizations or individuals without bar codes. Contact Campus Mail Service Facility (882-6589), Hitt Street Garage North, to arrange for this service.
- Letter size mail that has been sealed with metal staples will not be metered or sorted but returned to sender.
First Class, Unless Otherwise Specified
Unless otherwise endorsed or marked, all mail is considered to be First Class when received by Campus Mail Service.
To send non-profit, Business Standard or Periodical mail, contact Bulk Mail Center (882-5960).
Change of Address
Notify Campus Mail Service in writing of any change of address of a department or a section of a department.
Campus Mail Service does not intercept incoming U.S. Mail for forwarding. Mail will be delivered to the department, which should determine whether the material needs to be forwarded to the individual or retained by that department.
Campus Mail going to residence halls is picked up and dispatched by Campus Mail Service only when the mail has been presorted and tied into bundles for each residence hall.
NOTE: Campus Mail Service does not deliver U.S. Mail to the residence halls for the Columbia Post Office. The Residential Life Office coordinates the schedule of pickup and delivery of U.S. Mail at residence halls by the U.S. Postal Service.
Campus Mail Weighing Over 5 Lbs.
Campus Mail Service will not pick up campus mail on its regularly scheduled routes when a single package weighs over five pounds or when the total weight of all packages in a shipment to a single address exceeds five pounds.
- For no-cost service, departments may transport the parcel(s) to Campus Mail Service Facility (882-6589), Hitt Street Garage North, for delivery to MS&T, UMKC and UMSL.
- Departments may arrange for Campus Mail Service (882-6589) to pick up package(s) weighing over five pounds; however, there is a charge for this service.
The official campus courier deposit and exchange point is located at Campus Mail Service Facility, Hitt Street Garage North.
- All deliveries to Campus Mail Service, for courier, must be accepted by an employee of Campus Mail Service.
- Hours for delivery are 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Live animals are not transported by Campus Mail Service. Departments must provide their own service to and from the courier drop point.
- No supplies for pick up or delivery between Printing Services and UMKC, UMSL or MS&T will be accepted by Campus Mail Service.
- Each courier from UMKC, UMSL and MS&T will be totally responsible for any passenger needing transportation to or from Campus Mail Service Facility, Hitt Street Garage North.
Guidelines for No-Cost Courier Service
Departments will not be charged for use of courier service under the following conditions:
- Campus Mail Service will deliver received items from MS&T, UMKC, and UMSL before noon at no cost via the parcel post route.
- There is not cost for pick up or return of mail metered via the Hitt Street Garage North mail pick up point.
- When a single package weighs over five pounds, or when the total weight of all packages to a single address exceeds five pounds, the department may avoid charges for pick up or delivery by transporting the parcel(s) to Campus Mail Service Facility, Hitt Street Garage North for MS&T, UMKC, and UMSL.
NOTE: Departments may arrange for Campus Mail Service (882-6589) to pick up package(s) weighing over five pounds; however, there is a charge for this service.
Conditions & Guidelines for Courier Charges
Under the following conditions, departments will be charged for their use of courier service:
- When services after 5:00 p.m. or before 7:30 a.m. are required of Campus Mail Service for courier service, advance notice is required and the user will be charged for any overtime costs associated with the service.
- Departments will be charged when a single package weighs over five pounds (or when the total weight of all packages in a shipment to a single address exceeds five pounds), and departments arrange to have parcel(s) picked up and delivered to another building on campus, or picked up on campus and delivered to the courier.
NOTE: To arrange for this service, Call Campus Mail Service (882-6589).
Stamps, generic business-reply envelopes, generic labels, and generic post cards are stocked by Campus Mail Service. Items are to be requisitioned on an IDO (UM 48) indicating the account number to be charged.
- Stamps must be picked up in person.
- Prepaid postal cards are not offered for sale. Blank post card stock is available at Printing Services. Information on alternative methods for using post cards will be supplied, on request, by Campus Mail Service.
Questions About Mail Services
Any questions about campus mail, courier mail or U.S. mail may be directed to Campus Mail Service (882-6589), Campus Mail Service Facility, Hitt Street Garage North.