INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND TELECOMMUNICATION
Adopted: October 2012
Revised: June 2018
Responsible Office: Division of Information Technology
University of Missouri System Policy
University of Missouri - Columbia Commercial/Wireless Services policies are contained in the University of Missouri System Policies.
1. The University of Missouri will only pay for cell phones, service or data plans, or pagers on a limited basis. In order to have a University-paid device or service/data plan, there must be a requirement for the use of such a device as part of the employees’ essential job function and is limited to the following circumstances:
- On-call employees
- 24/7 monitoring or availability is required; or
- must be available immediately upon contact
- Public safety
- Employee is considered key personnel for emergency or safety purposes
- Medical professionals
- Emergency response is required
- Work location
- employees who performs a majority of their duties in the field where communication by other means is not available or inefficient
- Regulatory requirements
- Required by law or regulation to maintain communications
The University will not pay for devices or plans when having such a device and/or plan is primarily for the convenience of the employee and does not meet criteria above. The use of the device/plan must be for the primary use of conducting University business, as such, most University employees will not be eligible for a University provided device or service. There must be a strong and continuing business justification before a University provided device or service can be approved.
2. As a condition of employment, an employee may be asked to provide the university their phone number and be available for calls from the University. In this circumstance, it is understood that the employee's compensation is sufficient to cover the cost of the phone/service. There is no reimbursement for business use.
Departmental Responsibilities for Cellular Phones
- Services must be obtained from telecommunications companies under contract with the University unless the necessary service is unavailable from one of those carriers. The service plan must be based on anticipated business usage and the plan should provide call detail.
- Departmental fiscal officers and other departments designated by the campus shall monitor usage to assure that the appropriate service or data plan is in place, based on business needs and most economical use. The need for a University cellular device and service must be reviewed at least once a year, to verify and document that a University cellular device and service is still justified.
When an employee changes departments or leaves the University, any and all equipment (including chargers, extra batteries, hands-free devices, etc.) must be returned to the original department and service should be canceled, transferred to another employee, or transferred to the new department.
- Departmental fiscal officers and other departments designated by the campus are responsible for following campus procedures for documenting business need as part of the job function of the employee. Obtaining the approval for acquiring a device and/or plan from the campus Chief Financial Officer or designee.